Kelly the Culinarian: Cooking with Kelly: IKEA ingredients

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Cooking with Kelly: IKEA ingredients

In addition to the tasty cafe in IKEA, they also have a food section with all types of yummy items to take home. At my last visit, I picked up all sorts of things, including lingonberry juice and this soft flat bread. I found it in the freezer case and I wanted it, even though I didn't know what I'd do with it.

This morning was my first little experiment with the stuff. I made a peanut butter and jelly pinwheel roll for lunch. I figured it I wanted to try this out, I'd go with ingredients that I know so that I could taste what I didn't.

Turns out the bread tastes kind of licorice-y. It had a nice texture and a was soft but had a bit of bite to it. Pretty tasty stuff overall. So I'm thinking that my next experiment with this stuff will be pizza or maybe rubbing it with olive oil and spices then sticking it in the oven for a foccacia-type preparation. Who knows, it's a bit of a blank slate.

4 comments:

Tracy Tan said...

i like browsing the Ikea food section too! But I seriously like their Swedish meatballs with cranberry sauce :)

Larramie said...

But lingoberry juice... What's its use and taste, Kelly?

Frank K. said...

I am truly impressed with the devil-may-care attitude you take towards food. I have never actually considered purchasing items based on name alone, and then making up ways to use them. I will have to make a point to try it.

Unknown said...

licorice-y flat bread. Hmm. I don't think I'd be a fan, but you never know until you try, right?