Kelly the Culinarian: Food find: The Patio

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Food find: The Patio

I love going out and trying something new like The Patio, a Chicago chain. And there's something really cute about going to an eatery inside in the dead of winter that's decorated like an outdoor patio in the middle of the summer. They have bistro tables with umbrellas, indoor trees and booths.

You order at a central counter and then they bring the food out to you, just like at Panera. Tim and I went with summer classics -- a beef brisket sandwich with fries for him and a 1/3-pound cheeseburger with garlic mashed potatoes for me. Although this place is famous for ribs, I had to pass because they were kind of expensive for a Sunday lunch.

Tim's lunch was super tasty -- great beef brisket with a smokey, slow-cooked flavor and amazing barbecue sauce. Really, the sauce is what made it. Not too sweet, just a little smokey and tangy. The fries were also great with a crunchy exterior and soft middle without being too dry or overcooked. They were also salted nicely.

My burger was great too. The patty was tasty and moist. It would have been nice to have crisper lettuce, but it is the dead of winter after all. I didn't really like the mashed potatoes, they were instant and not that tasty. But hey, no one's perfect.

Definitely give it a try and be sure to get something that goes with barbecue sauce!

14 comments:

Michelle Kemper Brownlow said...

YUM-O!This looks so good!
It is 12:35 am and I am gettin' the hankerin for something...this is what I want...Hmmmmm...Chicago is a bit far to travel for a midnight snack!

Larramie said...

Instant mashed potatoes? Not on my patio! ;)

frannie said...

I am hungry just reading that!!

except for the instant potatoes-- that's just gross.

bigfish_chin said...

Hi,
Thanks for dropping by my blog! You have a nice blog too...Lovely~
Hope u don't mind i'm adding you in my list... Happy Blogging!

Cynthia said...

Ummmm, I think I'd want some of Tim's brisket with your mashed potatoes :)

Siobhan said...

Instant? Wow, that's really shocking. Where's Gordon when you need him??

Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments. I love the idea of your blog, it's a good read and interesting. I'll definitely be back.

http://abritdifferent.wordpress.com

daphne said...

oh nice! Always appreciate a good burger.

yammylicious said...

mmm great serving! i'm so craving for it! and i wish my place served big potion lik tis too! =)

Rosie said...

Eek.... instant mash I'll pass on, but the rest sounds really delicious! I could do with a little summer into my life too being winter here in the UK.

Enjoyed reading your post :D

Rosie x

bha said...

The pics make me go hungry....."P

Truffle said...

What a cute idea and the food sounds delicious!

Cakespy said...

Mm, makes me think of summer. Although I must concur about the instant potatoes--just DON'T DO IT!

Gloria Baker said...

Looks so nice Kelly, by the time in time!!! xxGloria

Angel said...

man, I live in the boon docks, but I wish we had some place like this....the food looks good...cept for those instant taters!