Kelly the Culinarian: My New Obsession: Oatmeal

Sunday, May 29, 2011

My New Obsession: Oatmeal

I'm not really sure why I love oatmeal more than chocolate right now, but it seems kind of healthy, so I'm going to go with it. Today, I baked all things oatmeal for the week ahead. Take a look at my oven -- I made my standard baked oatmeal with mashed bananas, oatmeal cookies and awesome granola.












This granola was the tasty thing ever. When we were at the store the other day, my husband threw granola in the cart, but I knew I could make it cheaper and better at home. I was right! Here's my recipe:

2 cups old-fashioned oats

1 cup sliced roasted almonds

1/2 cup sunflower seeds

1/2 cup shredded coconut

1/4 cup flaxseed meal

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup honey

1/4 cup brown sugar

Mix all the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, mix the oil, honey and brown sugar until incorporated. Drizzle evenly over the oat mixture, then stir to combine. Pour onto a large roasting pan and spread to make an even layer. Cook for 40 minutes at 300 degrees, stirring every 10 minutes. Allow to cool, then break into pieces. Enjoy the deliciousness.

On a completely unrelated note, can you believe we're had this puppy face for two years? We brought him home two years ago today and he's been in our hearts ever since. I never had pets as a kid and couldn't really understand the connection, but I can't imagine my home without a dog now. He's a furry little member of our family.

No comments: