Kelly the Culinarian: Cooking with Kelly: Whole Wheat Waffles and a Long Run

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cooking with Kelly: Whole Wheat Waffles and a Long Run

After last week's pumpkin pancakes, I figured I should return the favor and make my husband some waffles.

I brought out my trusty Bugs Bunny Waffle Maker and whipped up these beauties.

Whole Wheat Waffles
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 Tablespoons Splenda
1 egg
1 1/2 cups skim milk, room temperature
1/3 cup melted butter

Whisk the wet and dry ingredients together, then combine and mix until incorporated. The batter will remain lumpy. This recipe made five Bugs Bunny waffles, but your mileage will vary based on your cartoon character of choice.

After devouring two of these babies topped with the requisite butter and syrup, I set off on my long run. I was seriously dreading this. We went out last night, so I knew it was going to be a painful, slow process. The sky looked really foreboding as well, and I put off this run for as long as possible.

I decided I'd just get it over with and pretend like I'm enjoying seeing the fall colors and wildlife. I did end up seeing six deer, one which was close enough to touch (but I didn't, of course). It took me a miserable amount of time to finish not quite 10 miles, but at least it's over with.

I finished my long run with stretching, snacking and taking an ice bath, and then spent the balance of today intermittently being lazy and cleaning our office.

Here's hoping the next long run isn't nearly as excruciating.

No comments: