Kelly the Culinarian: Make it Better Substitutions

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Make it Better Substitutions

Today was all about substitutions. Instead of working out on the elliptical, I substituted a push-myself 5K outside while trying to not freeze my fingers off. A mere 26 minutes later, I was done.

Then, I made a protein muffin and substituted on Tablespoon of coconut flour for the two Tablespoons of whole wheat flour I usually

use.
I tried it with two Tablespoons of coconut flour and it was just too dense. The verdict? Now, it's perfect. Especially with peanut butter. Everything is better with peanut butter.

Next up, I ran off to Nordstrom Rack to substitute the running top I wanted at Lululemon for a far more

affordable running top for cooler temperatures. It might not have a million pockets, but it still has thumb holes and was only $20. Win.

I stopped at Ikea and substituted the Ikea lunch I was going to have with lunch at Whole Foods instead. For about the same price, I got vegan quinoa and black bean chili with a pretzel roll. It was hot and satisfying, but under seasoned.


Finally, I needed a quick dinner before evening yoga. I made a turkey roll up and substituted
Sabra Greek olive hummus for mayo that I got through the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program. It has 30 calories less per serving and far more nutrients than mayonnaise. Partnered with bell pepper and turkey, it was mighty tasty.

Now I'm off to substitute yoga instead of sitting on the couch.

3 comments:

stephanie said...

you made some great subs!!

Erin said...

I had my first Whole Foods lunch experience on Saturday after running at Busse Woods. Now I understand what all the fuss is about!

KellytheCulinarian said...

I love Busse Woods! And that was the whole paycheck we were at this afternoon, too. It's really one of the nicer Whole Foods.