Kelly the Culinarian: Thankful Thursday: An Ode to My Parents

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thankful Thursday: An Ode to My Parents

Thanksgiving is this month, but I have more to be thankful than can be celebrated in one day.

My parents know about my love of pumpkin. Hell, everyone who knows me even a little bit knows I *heart* pumpkin. I love making and enjoying all things pumpkin this time of year: beer, muffins, bread, yogurt, oatmeal, whatever. I even enjoy pumpkin candles.

A few days after the trailer/quidditch trip, my dad texted me. I can't figure out how to take a screen shot on the droid, but he wanted me to know Aldi had the elusive pumpkin I've been looking for. Both Aldi locations near me have been cleaned out since I heard they had it in stock. I usually get a case this time of year because the brand-name canned pumpkin is a little pricey.
My mother not only bought me the pumpkin, but she went through the whole case to ensure none of the cans were dented. So sweet.

Alas, the Aldi pumpkin this year isn't so great. I made what should have been an amazing pumpkin cake with apple cider glaze earlier this week, but the taste was just off. It tasted ... chemical like. Still, it's the thought that counts and it seriously warmed my heart that my parents remembered and indulged my obsession.